Siok has practised as a lawyer for over 15 years. Whilst working with law firms in London and Singapore and as in-house Counsel at Lloyd’s of London, Siok gained considerable experience in advising on a wide variety of legal and strategic issues relating to international business development and cross border transactions. Siok has also handled a wide range of commercial work, with particular interest in the areas of intellectual property, information technology, e-commerce and Internet law.
During her time with Motorola as the Senior Intellectual Property Counsel for EMEA, Siok was involved in advising, structuring, drafting and negotiating technology patent licensing and intellectual property development agreements including software/hardware licences, distribution agreements, software evaluation agreements, collaboration, website development agreements, assignments, consortium and consultancy agreements, strategic alliances and standard development participation agreements.
She also has experience in advising on Internet e-commerce start-ups, in particular, advising on intellectual property law on the internet such as privacy, data protection, trade marks and domain names registration, domain name dispute resolution and copyright protection, and has drafted and negotiated agreements for server system providers and web designers. She has also provided legal advice and support in auditing corporate webpages to ensure legal compliance, establishing compliance procedures and policies, drafting legal terms and conditions of use for corporate websites and drafting online sale and purchase agreements in compliance with the EU Distance Selling Directive for E-tailers.
Subsequently, Siok spent some time with the Office of Innovation and Research Support of the University of Southampton, where she provided legal advice and support services in relation to the entrepreneurial activities of University staff and student researchers regarding R&D collaborations between business corporations, government departments and the University. She also provided advice and assistance in: securing intellectual property protection, intellectual property acquisition, intellectual property asset management and intellectual property exploitation in terms of drafting and negotiating licensing, assignments, R&D agreements and marketing agreements.
- Software development, licensing and consultancy agreements
- Telecommunications service agreements
- Software evaluation agreements
- Web hosting and web-link agreements for mobile e-commerce technology related initiatives
- Internet application service provider agreements
- E-commerce server system provider, web design and development agreements
- Web support and maintenance agreements
- Collaboration and development agreements
- Patent and or trademark licensing and assignments
- Confidentiality agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Consortium agreements
- Consultancy agreements
- Standard development participation agreements
- Letters of intent/memoranda of understanding
- Intellectual Property due diligence in relation to corporate acquisitions/mergers
- Advising on domain names issues
- Copyright advice
- Advising on data protection issues